1. Parenting

Kimberly Powell

Is Your Hair Loss Hereditary?

By August 3, 2003

If you're over 20 and your hair is starting to thin, the culprit is probably hidden in your family tree. Approximately 95 percent of men and 70 percent of women with thinning hair can attribute it to a hereditary condition called Androgenetic Alopecia. Hereditary hair loss affects all ethnicities and can be inherited from either the mother's or father's side of the family. Because baldness is determined by a number of genetic factors, it may or may not skip generations.

Marked by a progressive miniaturization of hair follicles, hereditary hair loss is caused by a shortening of the hair's growth cycle. As the growth phase shortens, the hair becomes thinner and shorter until, eventually, there is no growth at all.

Male-pattern and female-pattern androgenetic alopecia are not only very common, they are very treatable. Both surgical and medical hair loss treatments have high rates of success. One treatment involves applying a lotion, minoxidil, to the scalp twice a day. Another hair loss treatment for men is a daily pill containing finasteride, a drug that blocks the formation of the active male hormone in the hair follicle.

Because hereditary hair loss is gradual, the sooner treatment is started, the better the chances of results. Checking your family tree to see if you have a possible genetic predisposition to hair loss might help you recognize the symptoms early enough to slow the progression.

Related Resources:
Tracing Your Family Health History
Determining Your Ancestry Through DNA
Comments
July 3, 2012 at 11:53 am
(1) Check This Site Out says:

Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you
knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form?

I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot!

August 24, 2012 at 11:50 am
(2) Solomon S. zhukovsky says:

Hello every one im asking if my hairloss is hereditary, because i loose about 20 hairs daily during the shower… but either side of my family no body is bald not even my grandpa, i already experience an exessive hair loss period when i was 17, but now im 18 and im starting to lose hair again… the affected parts are the corners from the forehead zone, specially the right side, i also have a little bit of acne

September 17, 2012 at 5:55 am
(3) Hair Growth Products says:

Thanks , I have recently been searching for info about this topic for ages and
yours is the greatest I’ve discovered so far. But, what about the bottom line? Are you certain concerning the supply?

April 9, 2013 at 5:09 am
(4) nikhil says:

im suffering from male pattern baldness. and my doctor said that its heridatiory.
is there any chace of preventing my hair fall? I just crossed 18.

July 4, 2013 at 7:07 am
(5) streetdirectory says:

A motivating discussion is definitely worth comment.
I do think that you need to write more on this subject matter,
it might not be a taboo subject but generally people do not discuss these topics.

To the next! Kind regards!!streetdirectory

January 12, 2014 at 12:37 pm
(6) thisismytestsite333.com says:

Hello! This post couldn’t be written any better!
Reading this post reminds me of my previous room mate!
He always kept talking about this. I will forward this write-up to him.
Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

March 4, 2014 at 8:10 am
(7) hair loss after chemo says:

Hello! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new
iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to
all your posts! Keep up the outstanding work!

April 3, 2014 at 10:30 pm
(8) best hair loss treatment for men says:

From the self-diagnosis in the previous section, you’ll now
be heading to the appropriate recipe for your specific condition, and then it dies and falls out.
Laser treatment is used in many places to improve the function of the brain,
however in addition to this it can improve the circulation of blood all over the world.