1. Parenting

Kimberly Powell

Free Access to HeritageQuest Online

By December 9, 2005

FREE access to U.S. Census indexes and digitized images, and more than 25,000 family and local histories, is available to many individuals at no or little cost through HeritageQuest Online. Many libraries and archives across the U.S. offer free remote access - all you have to do is enter your library card number! For those people who don't have a local participating library, or who live outside of the U.S., many genealogical societies offer HeritageQuest Online as a benefit of membership. Read on to find a participating library or society near you.

HeritageQuest Access Regardless of Location
California Genealogical Society - the individual $35 membership fee includes remote access to the census images and family history books of HeritageQuest Online
Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania - annual membership fee of $35 includes remote online access to HeritageQuest Online
Georgia Genealogical Society - the $35 individual plus membership offers remote access to HeritageQuest Online
Kentucky Historical Society - HeritageQuest Online is just one of many databases available to members ($40) from the comfort of their home
New England Historic Genealogical Society - annual membership, available for $75, includes remote access to HeritageQuest, as well as other databases and premium content
New York Genealogical & Biographical Society - the $60 individual annual membership includes remote access to HeritageQuest Online and other research databases
Ohio Genealogical Society - HeritageQuest Online is just one of many perks of the $32 membership fee
Vermont Historical Society - $40 annual membership includes remote online access to HeritageQuest Online
Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society - annual membership $25, plus $5 for remote access to HeritageQuestOnline

Free Access to HeritageQuest - By State

Alabama
Rainbow City Public Library
Prescott Public Library

Arizona
Maricopa County Library District
Tucson-Pima Public Library

Connecticut
iConn Connecticut Digital Library Database - free access to HeritageQuest Online with a valid Connecticut public library card

Florida
Brevard County Public Libraries

Indiana
Batesville Memorial Public Library
Elkhart Public Library
Huntington City-Township Public Library

Kansas
Kansas Library Card Databases - available to all Kansas residents with a library card

Maryland
SAILOR - Maryland Public Library

Nebraska
NebraskAccess - access HeritageQuest with Nebraska drivers license or state identification number

New Hampshire
NHewLink - remote access to research databases, including HeritageQuest Online, for New Hampshire residents with a public library card

New York
Putnam County Library System - free HeritageQuest access offered to holders of library cards from Putnam County libraries

North Carolina
Central North Carolina Regional Library - serving Alamance and Chatham Counties
NC LIVE - free access for state residents with a NC library card from participating libraries

Ohio
OPLIN - Ohio Public Library Information Network

Oklahoma
Metropolitan Library System - for residents of Oklahoma City and Oklahoma County

South Dakota
South Dakota Library Network - click on Databases

Texas
TexShare Database Access - available to members of participating libraries

Utah
Salt Lake County Libraries
Public Pioneer - Utah's Online Library

Wisconsin
Milwaukee Public Library - remote access for City of Milwaukee library cardholders

Comments
March 27, 2008 at 10:28 am
(1) Eileen says:

In Pittsburgh, PA, the Northland Public Library offers free access.

January 25, 2009 at 10:05 pm
(2) David says:

The Gen. Soc of PA no longer offers HeritageQuest online as of Sep 2006. They said that Proquest is not renewing any contracts “for business reasons.” New management after the company was bought out did not have the same interest as the old management and appeared somewhat desperate to further improve their “bottom line.”

March 28, 2009 at 5:51 pm
(3) Marjorie Wills says:

I really get sick of these web sights that say free help with Genealogy and then you get into it and they ask for big money.

January 1, 2010 at 1:45 am
(4) Barbara says:

Stanislaus County in CA. also stopped there library research things such as Heritage Quest.
I am also Free now pay to see.

May 23, 2010 at 12:08 am
(5) Carol Johnson says:

I am so disappointed in these free web sites they are nearly all connected to ancestry.com some way. They have (ancestry.com) just about taken over the genealogical information on the web. And of course the only way you can get info is to pay big money.

March 4, 2011 at 9:53 pm
(6) Jett says:

Family Search.org is a FREE site offered by The Church of Latter Day Saints. Its really nice and u can help catalog it!! :)

September 30, 2011 at 11:10 am
(7) Gloria Hunter says:

Does Wayne County Michigan have free access to HeritageQuest online site? I am doing family genealogy Thank You!

August 22, 2012 at 5:09 pm
(8) sam says:

Family search.org is free but if u haven’t been on it lately do so. Now you can not get a copy of ordinal docs anymore, it says to go to our partner site ancestry and some are at fold 3 both you have to pay. I was very disappointed when I came across that. I don’t mean all docs just some, to clarify that.

September 29, 2012 at 2:01 pm
(9) carol says:

I guess I never learned the correct meaning of “FREE”. Seems everything Online that says “FREE” cost $$$$$! Public records are to be “FREE” at NO cost $$$$$$

March 7, 2013 at 12:43 pm
(10) john trimmer says:

It will be a cold day in (you know where) before ancestry.com gets any money out of me. How did thay monopolize what should be free government records? Bloodsuckers.

August 13, 2013 at 12:42 pm
(11) Margaret says:

When I started research in 1983 all the information was free. I agree that I won’t pay anscestry.com. What a scam. I have found more pleasure in going directly to the site where my anscesters lived.

November 5, 2013 at 11:40 am
(12) Flutterbye says:

My local Family History Library has access but you have to go to a local site to use their computer system.

November 5, 2013 at 11:42 am
(13) Flutterbye says:

Gloria Hunter

I am also searching families in Wayne County Michigan. Mine are Grays and Powell. Any association?

Jenny

February 15, 2014 at 2:18 pm
(14) Edie Gutierrez says:

I also will not give Ancestry.com any more $$$. I joined once but discovered the fee was not worth what I was able to get. I also thought government records were public but I guess that is someone else’s definition of “public”.

February 20, 2014 at 9:43 pm
(15) Will Graham says:

Idaho quit subscribing for its public libraries in favor of more funding for children’s interests. It was nice while it lasted.