1. Parenting

Kimberly Powell

Genealogy Apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch

By June 22, 2009

I never thought I would say this about a cell phone, but the iPhone my husband gave me for Christmas finally has me enjoying my phone. It makes it so easy to text my daugher, check my email, and snap impromptu photos at any interesting cemetery that I stumble across.

Now that I'm finally beginning to use my iPhone on a regular basis, I've started looking for useful genealogy apps. The iTunes store offers a number of family tree viewers for the iPhone (and iPod Touch), including:

• Shrubs - Dick Eastman just reviewed this interesting genealogy program for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Unlike many of the genealogy apps available for the iPhone, Shrubs is a stand-alone program and can import a GEDCOM file from your desktop genealogy program of choice. View it in iTunes

• FamViewer - Another stand-alone genealogy viewer, FamViewer accepts GEDCOM imports from your desktop genealogy software, as well as from Ancestry.com. View it in iTunes

• GedView - Yet another stand-alone GEDCOM viewer for the iPhone. GedView, by David Knight, offers individual and family views, as well as sources and notes.View it in iTunes

• Reunion for iPhone - As you might expect from the name, this iPhone/iPod Touch app works directly with the Mac OS X genealogy software, Reunion 9, including syncing capabilities. View it in iTunes

• MobileFamilyTree - Designed to work with Synium's MacFamilyTree software, this mobile application for the iPhone and iPod touch lets you view your tree and even make changes to it on the go, and keeps these changes in sync with your MacFamilyTree files. View it in iTunes

Another iPhone / iPod Touch app that genealogists might find useful is FamCam, a free photo sharing application by FamilyLink.

Comments
July 13, 2009 at 5:38 pm
(1) טכנאי מחשבים says:

great comparisons done for iphone and ipod touch, it will be thrilling to note growing share of iphones in coming years.

October 15, 2009 at 12:46 pm
(2) Hugh Watkins says:

or upload a gedcom to WoeldConnect to view as web pages

December 22, 2009 at 11:08 pm
(3) Joan Miller says:

Thanks. I’m a new iphone user and am looking for ways to carry my genealogy gedcom around. Finding your post was great. Thanks for compiling the list.

January 19, 2010 at 1:10 pm
(4) Ryan Done says:

Ancestry.com just came out with an iPhone app too. Upload your Gedcom for free to their site and browse and update it on your iphone from anywhere. One thing I think is really cool is that you can use the iphone’s camera to take pictures of headstones or people, and attach those images directly to your tree!

February 9, 2010 at 12:26 pm
(5) Janet says:

Strange that Ancestry.com has a product for the iphone but not for Mac – what a weird company.

March 23, 2010 at 10:59 am
(6) Janey says:

You could upload your entire family tree-and the hundreds or thousands of hours spent on it–and Ancestry.com can mine all your info and SELL it.

June 3, 2010 at 7:39 am
(7) Gundoswnk says:

Aloha!earr! http://cahylcaf.com gfszj ylesw

June 22, 2011 at 8:30 am
(8) טכנאי מחשבים ברחובות says:

great stuff keep up the good work

September 9, 2013 at 2:03 pm
(9) Tony Adams says:

Found Pic Scanner to be a very useful app for scanning old family pictures with iPhone (Also works on iPad): You can scan up to 3 photos together by placing them on a plain sheet of paper and photographing them with iPhone, they are automatically cropped and saved by the app. Much easier and faster than flatbed scanners, and pretty good resolution. Their website is http://www.appinitio.com and there is also a demo on YouTube.