1. Parenting

Kimberly Powell

President Obama Related to Massachusetts Senator-Elect Scott Brown

By January 29, 2010

President Obama and Scott Brown Family Tree ConnectionThis morning's press release from the New England Historic Genealogical Society linking President Barack Obama with Scott Brown, the newly elected republican senator from Massachusetts, didn't really surprise me. If you go back far enough, it seems that almost everyone with deep New England roots can find a connection to one another. In this case, the connection is 10th cousins. According to NEHGS staff genealogists Chris Child and David Allen Lambert, Obama's mother, Stanley Ann Dunham and Brown's mother, Judith Ann Rugg, both descend from Richard Singletary of Haverhill, Massachusetts, who did in 1687 at the age of 102. President Obama descends from Richard's eldest son, Jonathan Singletary, who later changed his surname to Dunham. Scott Brown descends from Jonathan's brother, Nathaniel Singletary. Child and Lambert also found that Brown is related to six other U.S. Presidents including George H. W. Bush, George W. Bush, Richard Nixon, Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover and Rutherford B. Hayes.

Comments
January 31, 2010 at 9:07 pm
(1) Karen Bruton says:

And I am related to both. I am also a descendant of Richard Singletary. Barack Obama is my 9th cousin, once removed and Scott Brown is my 10th cousin, once removed. I think we need to have a family reunion at the White House now that two of my cousin live in the D.C. Area.

February 2, 2010 at 12:45 pm
(2) Etta Redd says:

I have done family research for forty years. I would love to see the family tree proving Obama’s hertiage, especially that he is related to seven presidents. Am I doubtful, yes!

February 2, 2010 at 1:03 pm
(3) Martha Stead says:

My husband is also related to Obama through the George Allen line. I think a reunion at the White House is a great idea!

February 2, 2010 at 1:17 pm
(4) ~Kimberly says:

Etta, You can check out more details on President Obama’s presidential connections here (as researched by the New England Historic Genealogical Society)

February 2, 2010 at 1:39 pm
(5) Etta Redd says:

Thanks Kimberly — I will do that.

February 3, 2010 at 11:58 am
(6) Bonnie says:

Oh my goodness! I find some of this really hard to believe. I am supposed to be related to Winston Churchill; but, hopefully not Pres. Obama.

February 9, 2010 at 12:57 pm
(7) D says:

@Bonnie. why wouldn’t you want to be related to Pres. Obama? He’s a very intelligent, hardworking man. Perhaps he’d rather hope he’s not related to you.

February 26, 2010 at 2:28 pm
(8) Sandy says:

I am related also to Richard Singletary down Jonathan’s line. My Dad recently passed away and has been trying to finish the links. His Mom was born in NJ and is a Dunham.

May 4, 2011 at 10:14 am
(9) Sandra says:

My mother-in-law is a Singletary, Richard was her 9 or 10th great-grandfather. So my 3 children are related to Obama.I did the family tree and found Richard Singletary to be the first link to America.