1. Parenting

Kimberly Powell

Online FamilySearch Film Ordering Rolling Out to CA / West Coast

By July 21, 2011

The new Family History Library microfilm ordering system is continuing to roll out to new Family History Centers (FHCs) in the United States and Canada, retiring the old Inventory Manager system which required you to physically visit the FHC to place your order. July 27th is the magic day for California and the remaining western/northwestern U.S. states, with the rest of the United States and Canada to be rolled out in stages throughout the remainder of the year. Check films.familysearch.org and search for your state to see what's available -- and keep checking back because new centers are coming online every few weeks.

Although you will now be able to order microfilms online, they will continue to be shipped to Family History Centers and affiliate libraries with film-loaning privileges for viewing. But it means you can now order as soon as you are ready instead of having to wait for your next visit to the FHC, and it saves a trip for those who don't have a FHC close by. Once a center is moved over to the online ordering system, they will no longer accept in-person orders.

All you need to place a film order online is a free FamilySearch account. The film ordering system uses the same FamilySearch account as FamilySearch.org, FamilySearch Indexing, FamilySearch Wiki and new FamilySearch tree (currently open only to LDS members), so if you already have an account just sign in. Otherwise it is just a few quick steps to create a free online account. The online film ordering system also has the plus of providing status updates on your order, so you will know when it is due to arrive, or if it has been delayed. The loan is free, by there is a shipping/handling fee charged for each film. This is currently $5.50 in the United States, although expected to increase at some point due to the rising cost of duplicating microfilm.

Comments
July 24, 2011 at 12:23 pm
(1) Kay says:

More a question than a comment: how do you pay for the films in the new system? Online with a credit card or with cash/check when you show up to look at it? If the latter, the Church could end paying to ship films that go unused if someone didn’t follow through.

July 26, 2011 at 3:11 pm
(2) Grace Barnes says:

In reply to Kay,
As a FamilyHistory director the way I understand the film ordering online is that the patron pays by credit card and we will no longer be handling the money in the FamilyHistory center.

July 26, 2011 at 9:40 pm
(3) Mary Alequin says:

As of Tuesday the 26 of July it is on hold because for the California sales tax.

July 27, 2011 at 12:22 pm
(4) Don says:

I used the link in your post to view the Centers that are now part of this program, but, could not find a link on that page.
I also signed in with my account but that took me to the catalog page.
Can you advise where I can find the link to check if in the SW Washington region, Oregon, I can find out which locations are now a part of this great program?
Thanks.

July 27, 2011 at 9:59 pm
(5) Robbin says:

I can’t wait!! This is going to ordering the films sooooo much easier. I can look up the film numbers on my computer and fill in the forms to order them on my computer – no having to write them down and then copy the information over to the form at the FHC.

I hope they resolve the sales tax issue fast cause I am a Californian!

May 1, 2012 at 10:44 am
(6) Bozo Buttons says:

Not so great for those who do not have credit cards. This changes the game for some patrons, eliminating the cash method instead of offering an additional method of payment online.

It may be hard to believe, but there are people who either do not have credit cards/Paypal, or do not do transactions online.