1. Parenting

Kimberly Powell

Celebrities Announced for Genealogy Shows on NBC & PBS

By January 6, 2012

This spring brings more genealogy than ever before to American prime time television with shows on both NBC and PBS.

Premiering on Friday, February 3 (8-9:00 p.m. Eastern) is the third season of NBC's Who Do You Think You Are?, based on the award-winning hit British television documentary series of the same name. Promising to take us from "Ireland's freedom fighters to the American Revolutionary War, and from the African nation of Cameroon to Bulgaria," this season includes the biggest celebrity lineup to date: Martin Sheen, Marisa Tomei, Blair Underwood, Reba McEntire, Rob Lowe, Helen Hunt, Rita Wilson, Edie Falco, Rashida Jones, Jerome Bettis, Jason Sudeikis and Paula Deen.

PBS and Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates, Jr. are back with another genealogy show as well. Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates, Jr. will premier on Sunday, March 25 at 8:00 p.m. with a 10-part series promising to delve into the genealogy and genetics of famous Americans. The named celebrities include Kevin Bacon, Robert Downey, Jr., Branford Marsalis, John Legend, Martha Stewart, Barbara Walters and Rick Warren.

It's an exciting time to be a genealogist!

Comments
January 10, 2012 at 12:07 pm
(1) woodlandflower says:

WOW! Can’t wait for the shows to start! Sounds wonderful.
I so enjoy learning about each person’s journey through their individual family histories.

Thank you for keeping the shows on the air. :o )

January 10, 2012 at 1:35 pm
(2) Karen Martin says:

This is one of my favorite shows and I am thrilled it’s back for another season! After watching it always gets my motor revved to get back at the computer and do more with my family search.

January 10, 2012 at 3:42 pm
(3) Rob says:

I wish it was year round. Tv sucks without this show. I would love for some one to help me find my missing ancestors. Thanks for bringing it back.

January 10, 2012 at 5:23 pm
(4) Marg says:

Excellent news. I’m hooked on family history shows. Hope it is not too long before they appear on our screens in Australia.

January 10, 2012 at 7:19 pm
(5) Skip Westfield says:

That’s great news! Since I joined Ancestry, I’ve enjoyed the many great links and how-to’s you make available. The show is great and my wife & I can’t wait for it to start again. I remember thinking from the first episode, “If only I could afford that kind of research.” Keep up the great work, please.

January 11, 2012 at 3:04 pm
(6) MARGE ROSS says:

welcome back!this wonderful program will get the younger generation interested in family stories and history as well and discover genealogy can be fun and interesting. and their ancestors helped write history. Removing one person changes history.

June 14, 2012 at 2:26 pm
(7) Roma says:

did they take the genealogy show off the air. I watched it twice with Paula Deen and someone else and after that it wasn’t on anymore.