Genealogy Chat Room - Rules for Moderated Chats
we have special guests and the chat room is very busy, our chats are
moderated. Basically this means we have special rules which allow
everyone a chance to participate and help keep the chat from turning
into a free-for-all.
1) When chats are moderated, this means that you will not be permitted to speak unless you have a question. If you forget and type something into the message box and hit enter, you will receive a little message which reminds you that you do not have permission to speak.
2) To ask a question when chat is in moderated mode:
3) I will maintain a running list of people with questions - when your turn comes, I will call on you to ask your question and will temporarily turn on your permission to speak. Please have your question already typed into the message box so that when I call on you all you have to do is click the Send button.
4) Questions should stick to the topic of the guest chat/lecture and should, for the most part, deal with methodology or questions of general interest, rather than one specific ancestor that you are stuck on. Please save those types of questions for our Tuesday night Genealogy HOW-TO chats :)
5) Once the moderated portion of a guest chat is over, I will usually open up the room for everyone to speak normally. It's a good time to meet and exchange info, surnames, etc. with your fellow attendees!