Robert Lee Frost, a Pulitzer Prize-winning poet and recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor, was named after the Southern general, Robert E. Lee. The son of an adventurous New Englander and Scottish immigrant, Robert Frost has an interesting family tree reaching back to colonial America, Scotland and England.
Born on March 26, 1874 in San Francisco, California, Robert Frost was the oldest of two children born to William Prescott Frost Jr. and Isabelle Moodie. William Prescott Frost Jr. died of tuberculosis when Robert Frost was only 11, and his mother moved the family back to Lawrence, Massachusetts, ancestral home of the Frost family. Robert (called "Robbie" by his friends) attended Lawrence High School, where he discovered his love for writing poetry during his senior year. It was also in Lawrence that he met and married his high-school sweetheart, Elinor Marian White.
Robert Lee Frost died in Boston in 1963, at the age of 88, but is buried in the Frost family plot in Bennington, Vermont, along with his wife and several of his children.
1. Robert Lee FROST was born on 26 Mar 1874 in San Francisco, San Francisco Co., Calif. as stated on his WWI Draft Registration Card and in various biographies. He died on 29 Jan 1963 in Boston, Suffolk Co., Mass. and was buried on 31 Jan 1963 in the family plot in Old Bennington, Vt. His obituary appeared in the New York Times on 30 Jan. 1963.
Second Generation - Parents2. William Prescott FROST was born on 27 Dec 1850 in Kingston, Rockingham Co., N.H. He died on 5 May 1885 in San Francisco, San Francisco Co., Calif. William Prescott FROST and Isabelle (Belle) MOODIE were married on 18 Mar 1874 in Lewistown, Mifflin Co., Pa.
3. Isabelle (Belle) MOODIE was born on 16 Sep 1844 in Alloa, Clackmannan, Scotland. She was baptized on 13 Oct 1844 in Alloa, Clackmannan, Scotland. She died on 21 Nov 1900 in Penacook, Merrimack Co., N.H.
Robert Lee FROST and Isabelle MOODIE had the following children:
- i. Robert Lee FROST
1 ii. Jeanie Florence FROST was born on 25 Jun 1876 in San Francisco, San Francisco Co., Calif. She died on 7 Sep 1929.
Third Generation - Grandparents4. William Prescott FROST was born on 11 Jul 1823 in Eden, Hancock Co., Maine. He died on 10 Jul 1901. William Prescott FROST and Judith COLCORD were married on 27 Sep 1846 in Kingston, Rockingham Co., N.H.
5. Judith COLCORD was born on 23 Jun 1820 in Kingston, Rockingham Co., N.H. She died on 21 Aug 1893 in Lawrence, Essex Co., Mass.
William Prescott FROST and Judith COLCORD had the following children:
- i. Sarah Roselia FROST was born on 4 Jul 1847 and died on 6 Sep 1847.
2 ii. William Prescott FROST
7. Amelia CHRISTIE was born about 1815.
Capt. John MOODIE and Amelia CHRISTIE had the following children:
- i. Thomas MOODIE was born in Jul 1837 in Alloa, Clackmannan, Scotland. He was baptized on 29 Jul 1837 in Alloa, Clackmannan, Scotland.
ii. John MOODIE was born about 1838 in Scotland.
iii. Isabelle MOODIE
Explore More of the Robert Lee Frost Family Tree
- Second Generation
- Third Generation
- Fourth Generation