Albert Einstein was born in the city of Ulm in Wurttemberg, Germany, on March 14, 1879 into a non-observant Jewish family. Six weeks later his parents moved the family to Munich, where Einstein spent most of his early years. In 1894, Einstein's family moved to Pavia, Italy (near Milan), but Einstein chose to remain behind in Munich. In 1901 Albert Einstein received his diploma from the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, as well as Swiss citizenship. In 1914, he returned to Germany as director of the Kaiser Wilhelm Physical Institute in Berlin, a position he held until 1933.
After Hitler's rise to power, life for professional Jews in Germany became very uncomfortable. Albert Einstein and his wife, Elsa, moved to the United States and settled in Princeton, New Jersey. In 1940 he became a US citizen.
Professor Albert Einstein is best known for his special (1905) and general (1916) theories of relativity.
1. Albert EINSTEIN was born on 14 March 1879 in Ulm, Wurttemberg, Germany, to Hermann EINSTEIN and Pauline KOCH. On 6 January 1903 he married his first wife, Mileva MARIC in Berne, Switzerland, with whom he had three children: Lieserl (born out of wedlock in Jan 1902); Hans Albert (born 14 May 1904) and Eduard (born 28 July 1910).
Mileva and Albert divorced in February 1919 and a few months later, on 2 June 1919, Albert married his cousin, Elsa EINSTEIN.
Second Generation (Parents):
2. Hermann EINSTEIN was born on 30 August 1847 in Buchau, Wurttemberg, Germany and died on 10 October 1902 in Milan, Friedhof, Italy.
3. Pauline KOCH was born on 8 February 1858 in Canstatt, Wurttemberg, Germany and died on 20 February 1920 in Berlin, Germany.
Hermann EINSTEIN and Pauline KOCH were married on 8 August 1876 in Canstatt, Wurttemberg, Germany and had the following children:
- 1 i. Albert EINSTEIN
Third Generation (Grandparents):
4. Abraham EINSTEIN was born 16 April 1808 in Buchau, Wurttemberg, Germany and died on 21 November 1868 in Ulm, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany.
5. Helene MOOS was born on 3 July 1814 in Buchau, Wurttemberg, Germany and died in 1887 in Ulm, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany.
Abraham EINSTEIN and Helene MOOS married on 15 April 1839 in Buchau, Wurttemberg, Germany, and had the following children:
- i. August Ignaz EINSTEIN b. 23 Dec 1841
ii. Jette EINSTEIN b. 13 Jan 1844
iii. Heinrich EINSTEIN b. 12 Oct 1845
2. iv. Hermann EINSTEIN
v. Jakob EINSTEIN b. 25 Nov 1850
vi. Friederike EINSTEIN b. 15 Mar 1855
6. Julius DERZBACHER was born on 19 February 1816 in Jebenhausen, Wurttenberg, Germany and died in 1895 in Canstatt, Wurttemberg, Germany. He took the surname KOCH in 1842.
7. Jette BERNHEIMER was born in 1825 in Jebenhausen, Wurttemberg, Germany and died in 1886 in Canstatt, Wurttemberg, Germany.
Julius DERZBACHER and Jette BERNHEIMER were married in 1847 and had the following children:
- i. Fanny KOCH was born 25 Mar 1852 and died in 1926. She was the mother of Elsa EINSTEIN, second wife of Albert EINSTEIN.
ii. Jacob KOCH
iii. Caesar KOCH
3. iv. Pauline KOCH