Search indexed newspapers or browse the actual digitized pages of hundreds of digitized historical newspapers online. This listing of historical newspapers online by state includes many, but not all, of the available U.S. historical newspapers online. Most historical newspapers listed here are free, but those that require a subscription are marked accordingly.
- Tundra Times, 1962-1997 - The "voice of Alaskan Natives," online for free access from the Tuzzy Library at Ilisagvik College.
- Casa Grande Newspaper Project, 1912-2007 - Search more than 267,735 historical newspaper pages online for free thanks to the Casa Grande Public Library.
- Amador Ledger, 1900-1911 - Online as part of the free California Digital Newspaper Collection
- Alta California, 1849-1910 - a daily San Francisco newspaper, online as part of the free California Digital Newspaper Collection
- El Clamor Publico, 1855-1859 - the first Spanish-language newspaper in California after the American occupation. Online for free fro the USC Libraries Digital Archive.
- Los Angeles Herald, 1900-1910 - Online as part of the free California Digital Newspaper Collection
- San Francisco Call, 1900-1910 - San Francisco's morning newspaper until 1913, online as part of the free California Digital Newspaper Collection
- The Hartford Courant, 1764-1984 - Online archives from the Hartford Courant offers free index searching, but requires a per article fee to access actual newspaper documents.
- Boca Raton Newspapers Collection, 1938-1970 - Free collection of several "hometown newspapers" from the Boca Raton Historical Society.
- Chronicling America, 1836–1922 - This free historical newspapers collection from the Library of Congress offers access to several dozen different Florida newspapers, including the Gainesville Daily Sun, Pensacola Daily News and the Florida Agriculturist.
- Florida Digital Newspaper Library, mid-1800s through present - Hundreds of Florida newspapers have been digitized and made available online for free viewing through this massive project.
- St. Petersburg Times/St. Petersburg Evening Independent, 1901-present - Google News Archive hosts free digitized copies of these two long-time St. Petersburg newspapers. Enter "St. Petersburg" or the paper name in the source box.
- The Cherokee Phoenix, 1828-1833 - American Indian newspaper, online for free viewing as part of the Georgia Historic Newspapers collection.
- The Colored Tribune, 1876 - Savannah-based, African-American newspaper. From the Georgia Historic Newspapers collection.
- The Dublin Post, 1878-1887 - Online for free viewing as part of the Georgia Historic Newspapers collection.
- Rome News-Tribune, 1910-1999 - Selected issues, most from 1910, and from 1950-1990, are available online for free viewing through Google News Archive. Enter "Rome News" in the source box.
- Ulukau: Hawaiian Electronic Library, 1834-1948 - A collection of historic Hawaiian language newspapers available for free searching and browsing.
- Hawaiian Language Newspapers, 1834-1927 - More than a dozen historic newspapers with free online access from the University of Hawaii. Scattered dates and titles available.
- Barrington Review, 1914-1930 - Free access to full–page reproductions from January 1, 1914–December 29, 1921 and April 23, 1925–November 13, 1930. Also available, an index to births, deaths and marriages from the Barrington Courier-Review from 1890-2006.
- Illinois Digital Newspaper Collection, 1895-1945 - Titles available include the Daily Illini (1916-1945), the Urbana Daily Courier (1903-1935), and the Express - Tallula, Illinois (1895-1896, scattered issues). Free!
- Chicago Tribune Archive – Historic article images from 1852 to the present. There is a fee for individual article access, or available via subscription from ProQuest Historical Newspapers (check with your local library).
- Chicago Defender Archive – Historic article images from 1905–1975. There is a fee for individual article access, or available via subscription from ProQuest Historical Newspapers (check with your local library).
- Quincy Historical Newspaper Archive, 1835-1919 - Free access to the Quincy Daily Whig, Quincy Daily Herald and Quincy Daily Journal.
- Flora Digital Newspapers Collection - Free, online historical newspapers from Flora and Clay County in Southern Illinois from the Illinois Digital Archives.
- Chronicling America, 1836–1922 – Includes the Chicago Eagle (1889–1922) and the Cairo Bulletin (1868–1878), plus a few others.
- Muncie Post-Democrat, 1921-1950 - Includes issues of the historic anti-Ku Klux Klan newspaper published by George Dale from 1921 until his death in 1936, and continued as a local newspaper after his death until the 1950s. Free!
- Adams County Free Press, 1876-2000 - Over 100,000 digitized pages online for free searching and viewing.
- Cedar Rapids Newspaper Archives, 1857-1998 - Free online access to a number of Cedar Rapids area historical newspapers, including the Cedar Rapids Gazette, Des Moines Daily News and Iowa State Leader.
- Charles City Press, 1930-2007 - A free online database containing more than 3,300 historical newspaper pages from the Floyd County Museum.
- Sioux County Newspaper Archives, 1878-2000 - Search or browse over a dozen Sioux County historical newspapers for free.
- Kansas Memory Historic Newspapers, 1850-1987 - Selected pages and articles from historical newspapers across the state.
- Chronicling America, 1836–1922 - Explore selected issues from over 20 historical Kansas newspapers in this free digitized collection from the Library of Congress.
- GenealogyBank - Historic Kansas Newspapers, 1841-1981 - Selected (mostly short) runs from over 68 historic African-American Kansas newspapers can be searched and viewed through a subscription to GenealogyBank, including such newspapers as the Wichita Searchlight and the State Ledger (Topeka).
- Ancestry Historical Newspaper Collection - Kansas - Subscription-based site Ancestry.com offers digitized issues of the Atchison Globe, in its various incarnations, from 1882-1976, plus the Great Bend Tribune, Salina Journal, and Western Kansas Press.
- Historic Kentucky Newspapers, 1896-1916 - The Kentuckiana Digital Library has over 35 historic Kentucky newspapers online for free searching and viewing. Available issues vary by paper - from one to several thousand.