My Most Wanted Ancestor
Mary Hickey - birth 1880-death 1940. Mary's father was John Hickey and Mother was S Rose. Possible Grandfalls, Newfoundland. 2 sisters, names unknown. Religion - Catholic. In 1904 pregnant from a fisherman Gardiner, he died at sea then Mary was married off to Tom Morris birth 1874-death 1950. Tom's father was Jeffery Morris, mother unknown. Morris family North River, Newfoundland. They married in 1904 and my father Daniel was born in April 1905. In 1908, Mary / Tom and 2 children moved to Donkin No6, Cape Breton. By 1911 there were 3 children, Daniel, Lizzy and Bill/Willie.
Research & Records
Information was never shared - I talked to my Aunt Mary (Father), she cannot remember any names to work with and stories from NFL. Other info came from Nova Scotia records, vital stats. I am just beginning and believe it is just myself. I have been doing web search in NFL and Nova Scotia. I have an e-mail from a Maxine Edwards, NFL with some phone numbers but have not checked as yet. I am in between searching web sites and reading how to go about Genealogy.
- I will be happy with any direction, names or how to
- Mary Hickey, any connection Newfoundland
- Mary was a giving person, took in 2 children besides her own
- Mary had a beautiful voice and sang Irish songs, the neighbours in N011, Glace Bay would request her to sing
- Mary never returned to NFL and her family never came here
- Tom Morris - his 2 sisters Susan, Bertha and brother William moved to Cape Breton
In Newfoundland, Mary and Tom were children of fisherman.