1. Parenting

Kimberly Powell

New Castle Garden Database

By August 2, 2005

A new electronic database containing the names of 10 million immigrants who came through Castle Garden in Manhattan is now online. Castle Garden served as America's first official immigrant receiving station from 1855 through 1890, before being succeeded by Ellis Island in 1892.

The Battery Conservancy launched CastleGarden.org on August 1, 2005 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the opening of the immigrant depot at Castle Garden on August 1, 1855. Ten million names are already included in the database, with 2 million more to be added over the next few months.

You can search by first and/or last name and a range of years directly from the Castle Garden site. Advanced search options are also available, but they require payment. If you'd like to narrow down your search by ship, town of origin, age at arrival, or other database feature, try this free One-Step Castle Garden Database Search by Steve Morse.
Comments
February 23, 2011 at 9:50 pm
(1) Mary says:

I found her! I found her! After 25 years of serching. Thank you Kim. I found her and daughter on Steve Morse’s site for Castle Gardens.

Have one more to find, Charlie Legeza or Michael Legeza, supposedly came in 1889-1897.

May 4, 2011 at 12:28 pm
(2) Jeanne says:

Hi Mary,

I found a Michael Legeza in a 1900 Pennsylvania census that lists birth info as being born in Hungary in Nov. 1865. It states he arrived here in 1893. Hope this helps.

August 2, 2012 at 3:43 am
(3) Carolyn says:

Can someone help? I found the ship but it won’t let be display or view the passenger list. I’ve tired checkiung the display box like the directions say and still no luch. I’m trying to view the 1881 list for the ship Castor.

September 14, 2012 at 3:35 pm
(4) Shannon Gorman says:

Great database, easy to use, and very detailed information.
Thank you Steve.

October 16, 2012 at 3:30 pm
(5) LeAnn says:

I typed in the name of the person and the country, don’t know what city he left from. I have the year from other records so that is right. All it does it spin, never get a reply what am I doing wrong?

October 21, 2012 at 5:14 pm
(6) Mary-Kaye says:

LeAnn – I get the same result whenever I try searching. Sometimes I get that the website can’t be found. It happens to me with the Castle Garden website and with Steve Morse’s website.

December 19, 2012 at 11:53 pm
(7) Betsy says:

I’m so thrilled… I found information of when my Great Grandfather immigrated from Italy. Thanks so much, wish I would have found this site sooner.

December 25, 2012 at 1:55 am
(8) ~Kimberly says:

That’s wonderful that you found him, Betsy!!!

June 30, 2013 at 11:22 pm
(9) rachel says:

I can’t seem to get Steve’s site to load easier. :(

April 9, 2014 at 10:22 pm
(10) Bonnie says:

I am so confused. we are searching for ancestors who arrived sometime in 1891. I have searched Ellis Island and Castle Garden and can not find anything. Maybe their arrival was between the two sites.
Searching for William (Wilhelm) Suberg, Ernest (Ernst) Suberg, Bertha Suberg and Augusta Suberg. Where do I search, hopefully a simple site as we are not very computer literate. They settled in Texas, my husband’s great grandfather. If we found even just the ship name we would be delighted. Thanks for any help you can give.