1. Parenting

Kimberly Powell

New Zealand Births, Deaths and Marriages Now Available Online

By February 25, 2009

Having recently had reason to do some research in the online births, marriages and deaths of Victoria, Australia, I was thrilled to see yet more vital records are now available online from that part of the world. New Zealand's Ministry of Internal Affairs announced today the launch of a new Web site that offers online access to New Zealand's historical birth, death and marriage records. To protect the privacy of living people, the following historic data is available:

• Births that occurred at least 100 years ago
  • Stillbirths that occurred at least 50 years ago
  • Marriages that occurred at least 80 years ago
  • Deaths that occurred at least 50 years ago, or the deceased's date of birth was at least 80 years ago

Searches are free, and certificates can either be purchased as a digital image to be downloaded immediately, or as a paper certificate sent through the mail.

Official registrations of births and deaths began in New Zealand in 1848, while marriage registration began in 1856. The Web site also has some earlier records, such as church and place registers, dating back as early as 1840.

New Zealand Birth, Death & Marriage Historical Records

Comments
February 26, 2009 at 10:57 am
(1) Geoffrey Todd says:

Thanks! This is very timely for me, as I am looking for relatives in New Zealand and Australia. GenBirdwood

December 16, 2009 at 10:47 am
(2) bath mate says:

Bathmate

August 30, 2010 at 9:28 pm
(3) B. Hennessy says:

Re N.Z. would like to be able to purchase, view, download, & print digital images of records, like Victoria, but hopefully not as expensive. Victoria is too expensive. i.e. Victoria Aus. Also would like to be able to identify req’d record more precisely by knowing country of birth and parents names prior to final purchase, as it is too expensive to discover that you have just bought a record for the wrong person. Please refine your searches to display country/place of origin, fathers name, mothers name, prior to final purchase. Thank You.

October 5, 2010 at 3:20 pm
(4) Raewyn says:

I agree with Hennessy

October 10, 2010 at 8:57 pm
(5) Pat Falcon says:

Your links don’t work.

November 2, 2010 at 5:41 pm
(6) H Moffitt says:

ditto @Pat Falcon. The links don’t work.

November 2, 2010 at 9:24 pm
(7) Rhel McIntyre says:

I also can not open the link.

November 12, 2010 at 7:58 pm
(8) ~Kimberly says:

This is an old blog post and the link was apparently changed since I wrote it. I have updated the link in the post for the current site. Hope this helps!

January 21, 2012 at 10:31 pm
(9) Shirley Lothian says:

The links still do not work

August 9, 2012 at 6:48 am
(10) Glenys Fail says:

Dear Sir/Madam, I would like to get birth certificate of Brian Knobbs of New Zealand.
My Name is dennis fail, I would like to know if my real father is still alive?
My Friend Glenys fail has a computer, So we have internet use to try and look up details. I was born in Wangarie in New Zealand but im not sure about my Real Father.

His name is mr Brian Knobbs. Can you please let me know by email how I can look him up Please

September 23, 2012 at 8:22 am
(11) RichK says:

Just google DIA (department of internal affairs) NZ and put in the word birth marriage deaths into the search also. Very easy.

As a Kiwi this information release is great.

However the date limitation for release (Births 100 years, Marriages 80 years, Deaths 50 years) is a little frustrating.

Cheers
Rich

January 14, 2013 at 7:31 pm
(12) Pythinia says:

New Zealand is very lax in putting bdm on line – 100 years for a birth, anything after this date (14 Jan 1913) is pretty much unobtainable, same with marriages, the bureaucracy is parsimonious about giving details out of dead people. Kiwis are incredibly scared of anyone knowing who they are or what they were!

May 30, 2013 at 7:16 am
(13) christine says:

i am trying to trace my auntie who apparently moved to new zealand years ago, if she is still alive (there was a rumour apparently that she had died in a car accident there) she will be my fathers only relative and i would love to be able to trace her or at least get some information one way or another so my dad finally knows once and for all what became of his sister as they were seperated at a very early age in england when my dad his brother and his sister where left at an orphanage and his brother died last year and nothing is known of what became of his mother and father

July 28, 2013 at 6:05 am
(14) Robin says:

A suggestion to Denis Fail above. Try the NZ phone directory at http://whitepages.co.nz/white-residential/
Set the address to ‘North Island’ and try the spelling ‘Nobbs’
Then check the same for the ‘South Island’ That way you can check the entire country in two searches. One of the Knobbs/Nobbs listed will be related.

September 1, 2013 at 10:05 am
(15) marama hall says:

Dear sir/madam, I am looking for my husbands biological mum..he was adopted out when he was 9months old, he is now 64..we know his real mum named and had him under the name RODNEY POTIKI..his adopted mum kept that name but added ATHOL as his second name..RODNEY ATHOL HALL..he does not know his mums name but knows she was maori and his dad was pakeha..please help us find her as we dont know where to start..My husband has been diagnosed with cancer and his one wish is to find his mum and give him closure..his adopted mum gave this name POTIKI to him before she died..Please help us..thank you the Hall Whanau (family)

January 2, 2014 at 1:48 am
(16) Val says:

No good for me for another 12 months. Am looking for details about my paternal grandmother and she would have turned 100 December 2014

January 19, 2014 at 4:45 am
(17) Mary Austin says:

MESSAGE FOR MARAMA HALL: Have just read your post and hope that by this time you have had some success with your search. If not here is a suggestion which will apply if your husband was legally adopted. Under NZ adoption laws an adopted person on reaching the age of 18 is entitled to a copy of their original birth certificate upon which will be stated the Mother’s name. You need to write or contact the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in Wellington: address will be in phone book or on internet.
I have gone through this process for myself and for my mother-in-law as we were both adopted. I do hope this will be of help to you in bringing closure. Good luck.