1. Parenting

Kimberly Powell

Ancestry.com Acquires Find A Grave

By September 30, 2013

It came as a surprise, at least to most, when Ancestry.com announced today that it had acquired the popular website Find A Grave, the largest online cemetery database of user-contributed burial data and photos. According to the press release, Find A Grave will become a wholly owned subsidiary of Ancestry.com, and will continue to be managed by its founder, Jim Tipton, who will operate as an employee of Ancestry.com. The site will also remain FREE to all users according to Ancestry.com president, Tim Sullivan:

We will maintain Find A Grave as a free website, will retain its existing policies and mode of operation, and look forward to working with Jim Tipton and the entire Find A Grave team to accelerate the development of tools designed to make it even easier for the Find A Grave community to fulfill its original mission to capture every tombstone on Earth.

What does Ancestry.com gain through this transaction? There are no official answers here, but you could speculate that because they were already incorporating Find A Grave results into their online family tree hints and search results, the acquisition ensures continued access. Purchasing this content outright might also make better long-term financial sense, than continuing to license the data from Find A Grave. Thomas MacEntee on Hack Genealogy points out the popularity of Find A Grave (ranked #826 in the U.S.), and its potential as a platform on which Ancestry can advertise its products and services.

For all of you wonderful Find A Grave volunteers out there, the site should hopefully make out as a result of this acquisition as well. Ancestry.com plans to add a mobile app for volunteers to more easily upload monument data and photos on the go, plus provide additional customer service and improved editing tools and foreign-language support.

Comments
October 1, 2013 at 10:06 am
(1) Pamela says:

Frankly, I do not trust ancestry.com to one day require you to have a subscription to view the findagrave site. The price of their subscription is highway robbery… shame on them.

October 1, 2013 at 11:54 am
(2) John says:

October 1, 2013 at 1:14 pm
(3) Robin says:

They will probably maintain Find-a-Grave as a free web site for about 10 minutes. They have a very bad track record so far.

October 1, 2013 at 1:33 pm
(4) Louise says:

Well, this is depressing news! Are you kidding me?!….Ancestry IS a rip off! Their subscription prices are way too high! People work hard to volunteer their time and work and research. Ancestry then scoops up that information they get for FREE, then charges OTHER people for OTHER peoples work. The people DOING the work don’t get a dime. And yes, I was disappointed when RootsWeb merged with them. (But, RootsWeb did keep their site open for free for those who don’t have $200+ a year to cough up. It was fun when the genealogy community worked together. Free Volunteers. People helping people….not becoming an extortionating business.
What ever happened to the Freedom of Information Act?!
And yes, I will complain everytime I need a b.m.d. cert and it costs $25!!!! And one of the “I” states makes you send in your photo ID and have to pay a Notary ($$) to have it stamped…before it gets mailed in too. Boo FindaGrave on your merger.

October 1, 2013 at 1:46 pm
(5) Jenny says:

I find Ancestry.com/Uk very affordable paying monthly and am glad they are adding to their site. As our families/ancestors came from a variety of countries-Ireland,UK,Canada,USA,Africa & France – it is so much easier and less costly than trying to visit the actual places looking for information.

October 1, 2013 at 2:10 pm
(6) Susan says:

I am THRILLED that Ancestry has FINALLY acquired Findagrave, but also happy that Jim Tipton and staff will be staying on. I hope that Ancestry can find creative ways to weed out the nasty contributors who have made life miserable for years. Anyone with a cemetery hobby who lusts for power and control over other peoples’ relatives can switch over to any of the other FREE virtual graveyard sites.

Ancestry’s genius programmers will surely find ways to convert the Findagrave flat file data base to something much more relational. Frankly I find the 50¢/day subscription is an incredible bargain, especially considering the vast amount of data that can be accessed quickly and easily.

THREE CHEERS to Ancestry! I wish all the wonderful staff at Findagrave well in your new venture. Be seeing ya!

October 1, 2013 at 3:36 pm
(7) Barbara Baker says:

So glad to see find a grave is now under ancestry.com. I’m a bit concerned with those who seem to think everything should be free. Some of these comments are sad! Try traveling all over the world for your information…maybe $200+ won’t seem too much! Thanks ancestry…love the site.

October 1, 2013 at 3:39 pm
(8) Carolyn Bigelow says:

It’s sad to me to have read what I have thus far. Ancestral Quest IS indeed a great program. There are (sometimes mistakes), however we all make mistakes. No one is perfect that’s why we are here. Thank You for this program. The staff is doing a great job, and their work may be at times wrong, but that may be the submitters that are putting them in. Carolyn

October 1, 2013 at 4:18 pm
(9) Cyndi Butler says:

Excited to have another database added to Ancestry, will cut down on those I have to have open when searching. I always have Ancestry and Find A Grave open as I use both of them so much. On a fixed income, I too struggled with the Ancestry cost, but then realized just how inexpensive it was for all it provide me at my fingertips in my own home without buying any gas, paying hotel and travel expenses, etc., rain or shine. I find this Ancestry acquisition good news. Having all those Find A Grave hints popping up now…that is another story :)

October 1, 2013 at 4:23 pm
(10) Rozzozzy says:

When I first started my search for ancesters, Ancestry was free, I hesitated about putting info a online site that was free. Then they started to charge. I paid quarterly to be a member and felt ripped off. Some twink put info of my family on line on Ancestry. She put my grandfather as a only son born in 1878, and me as my grandfathers daughter….. To make matters worse in my mind, she made my mother my daughter.
If that was not bad enough, I complained to the site owner and she said she didn’t know how to change it… ‘Genealogy was her passion’ She is lucky she lived in Oregon. When I contacted Ancestry (I was no longer a member) I was told ‘too bad, we can’t change it with out total documentation on all concerned.’ Ancestry is a totall rip off…. Much of the information is put online by people for their Mormon church as a means to baptize probably or possible sinners, thus getting the finders into heaven. This is what I was told by a lady of the mormon faith. She researched daily and took index cards on each famlyt she researched to be baptized and thus more people added to her list for heaven. I asked what if you have your information wrong. Oh, well……
20 years later, I could not afford to be a member of Ancestry, as I can not afford be a member of any of the rest who now charge. But none of these Genealogical sites remember that those of us who built Genealogy are now living on retirement and tight budgets. But we no longer count in their accountants eyes. or account books….

October 1, 2013 at 4:57 pm
(11) Quiggy says:

As a user and contributor of Find A Grave I do have mixed feelings about the purchase. I do like the idea of Find A Grave being free but Ancestry is getting to be one of If not the biggie in Ancestry work so adding Find A Grave to their company is good. And if Ancestry says it will keep Find A Grave free I believe they will keep it free. I will continue to contribute headstones any time I visit a cemetery

October 1, 2013 at 5:06 pm
(12) Leonard McCown says:

I think it is a good move for both concerned. I have really enjoyed FAG and appreciate the site. I have been a subscriber to Ancestry since they first started personal memberships (stateside only), and appreciate it. I use both of these, as well as FamilySearch.org daily. I feel like I get my money’s worth from Ancestry! The folks on FAG are fantastic too.

October 1, 2013 at 5:56 pm
(13) Andy says:

I have to agree with comments here stating Ancestry has generated a monopoly on fees for genealogical research. Family Search (Mormons) actually provided Ancestry.com with information for free. In return Family Search libraries were once able to offer Ancestry.com access in their research libraries for free. This changed about 6 years ago. No longer can you access information on Ancestry.com from Family Search libraries.

I agree business needs to make money and Ancestry does deserve kudos for making Family Search information more electronically available quicker then Family Search could accomplish it… But Ancestry.com forgets its roots…

Expect Find-A-Grave within 3 years to be swallowed up by Ancestry.com and become available only through a subscription to Ancestry.com. Of which Ancestry.com will again raise their rates…

For those of you talking about the fairness of rates, please figure return on investment and profit margin throughout the years… Business has the right to make a profit; but Ancestry.com profits continue to soar as content is aged… Does a company have the right to make 100% profit? Is not this what is wrong with our economy and free enterprise system?

October 1, 2013 at 6:01 pm
(14) Jackie says:

Ancestry.com will ensure that at some point whoever is paying for the bandwidth and upkeep won’t throw up there hands and say they cannot afford to support it any longer. As well as the founder finally getting a paycheck out of Ancestry.

That being the doom of “Act of Genealogy Kindness” one of my favorite resources.

October 1, 2013 at 8:17 pm
(15) Renee says:

Andy, you obviously haven’t been in a Family History Center run by FamilySearch in a while. Ancestry has been available through the Family History Center Portal for a number of years now. There were a couple of years it was missing, but it’s back again.

I absolutely expect Ancestry to keep it’s word that Find A Grave will remain a free site. This is exactly what they have done with RootsWeb.

Yes, Ancestry is expensive but so is digitizing, indexing, storing and hosting those images on a website. They do a fantastic service for us all. They allow us to do genealogy quicker, better, and more accurately since we have original documents at our finger tips.

Could you imagine what would have happened to all the Find A Grave data if Jim Tipton suddenly passed away before this agreement was made? Does anyone remember what happened to Random Acts of Genealogy Kindness not to long ago. Ancestry has just made it possible that FAG is never taken off line. It has just insured it’s future.

October 1, 2013 at 11:46 pm
(16) Bonnie says:

I think FAG will remain free…for a while. Ancestry is in the business to make money & they don’t give two cents about you or me, I for one don’t think that what they have to offer should be free. The research that is available to you at your fingertips is phenomenal BUT, their rates are way too high. If they took a survey, I bet 75% of their customers are over the age of 55, some retired & some on fixed incomes.

John wrote….I for one think the cost of ancestry.com is very inexpensive when I consider the expense and time it would have taken to travel to all the repositories throughout the world to find and match the thousands of images that I have been able to download from ancestry.com.

This may be true but, multiply $200 a year by a million, heck, millions of people that have subscriptions to their website. And who has to travel to repositories…nobody travels anymore…everything is done electronically!

All I’m saying is they should lower their prices & they would have a lot more people subscribing to their website.

October 2, 2013 at 7:02 am
(17) Wanda says:

As a long time Find A Grave volunteer, I am very disappointed in this news. That being said, Ancestry.com would have to be brain-dead to start charging for information they get for free from an army of volunteers. If they do, volunteers like me would simply not bother, or deal directly with people looking for help in my rural area. It wouldn’t cost the volunteers anything to set up a blog with names and e-mails of the volunteers in all areas of the country and bypass Find A Grave altogether, so it makes good business sense to keep it free. I will flat-out REFUSE to provide them with information so they can charge people, so I have a “wait and see” attitude, and will hope for the best! Meanwhile, Jewishgen.org and billiongraves.com both have free databases for graves and we can start adding to those sites.

October 2, 2013 at 7:53 am
(18) Merlyn Law says:

I hope it always remains a free service. I use to volunteer to take pictures of grave tombstones and people from afar were very thankful. I love it when someone finds the grave of my ancestors. The volunteers do incredible work and it does take effort to photo a stone. On the other hand there are many who have never walked in a graveyard that spend their time looking at obituaries. Death dates only and this is an aggravation because when you ask about the stone or want it edited THEY DON’T HAVE TIME. Well when it is my great grandparents and I have photos of the stone, they should turn over or add the stone and birth information. My thoughts are if you can not do it right, don’t do it at all.

October 2, 2013 at 11:25 am
(19) Jerry says:

This is so disappointinng. I steer well clear of anything stamped “Ancestry.com.” It made business sense for them to charge so much in the beginning in order for them to get established as a business. Now it’s pure unadulterated greed. They will charge for access to this information like they do for all their information. They must tell us in the beginning it will remain free but the time will come when they will be “forced” to change this policy. Bank on it. Is there ANY information anywhere that they give away for free? I for one did not spend all my time on these memorials to family now gone just so Ancestry.com can get richer. I did it for the memory of those gone and so others can learn of these loved ones now gone.

It is so tempting to remove all the memorials I have created and move them to a different free site…one that is serious enough about what they do to not be bought. Yes, it was Jim Tiptons site that he created but it has grown into something so much bigger. Does he really have the right to sell it anymore? Does he have the right to sell information provided by unpaid volunteers? I think not. My ancestors are not for sale.

So, FAG volunteers how does it feel knowing you’ve been employeed by Ancestry.com but you’re not going to see a dime but they will eventually make a lot of money from your work?

October 2, 2013 at 12:39 pm
(20) Laura Ranville says:

I’m disappointed, too. I subscribe to Ancestry and probably always will, but I don’t like FAG to come under their influence. I agree with some others that I wouldn’t trust that Ancestry would keep access free to anyone. I’ve contributed a lot to FAG – over 70,000 entries and 40,000 photos – and I did it because my work was made available free to anyone who was seeking it. Not sure that I would continue to work like that so a company can make a profit off of my volunteer efforts.

October 2, 2013 at 8:59 pm
(21) J. Robison says:

It is truly a sad day when Jim Tipton sells out free genealogy!
He knows, as we all do, that within a very short time that our donations to the FAG will require a subscription to the monopoly Ancestry!

Obamacare/Ancestry?
No difference!

October 3, 2013 at 12:09 am
(22) Evelyn Q. says:

J. Robinson wrote:
“Obamacare/Ancestry? No difference!”

What kind of tea are you drinking that would make you write an utterly ridiculous statement like that??

October 3, 2013 at 2:02 pm
(23) Gramma M says:

As a retired individual living on Social Security and a small pension, worse yet, with ancestors TOTALLY coming from European countries, I can assure you that there’s no way I can afford to pay $300/yr (the US version does me little good) for a membership to Ancestry.com. Far TOO EXPENSIVE!!!
My only option to access their records is to go through a genealogy center where I can use it. That, of course, involves gas expense and is restricted to the hours the center is open.
I also totally agree that the majority of their records undoubtedly have been compiled by others, volunteers for the most part, and Ancestry has got to be making a massive profit off of that.

October 3, 2013 at 7:31 pm
(24) Jo Ann says:

What better way for Ancestry.com to profit than allow volunteers to continue to put up memorials, burial plots and headstone photos, in addition to other information including pictures of the people and obituaries? New records are added daily, Ancestry.com gets a database updated FREE, by volunteers. IF they’re smart, Ancestry.com will continue to allow free access, if only so that this database continues to expand at little cost to them.

October 4, 2013 at 2:09 pm
(25) Jennie says:

I do agree with the comments I have read. I have been with Ancestry for many years and unfortunately for me my family is back east and from the old country. I have found many trees for the family that people continue to copy from others and make their own. Information is incorrect. I have contacted Ancestry and they told me there was nothing they could do. I feel this should not be allowed and there should be better quality control. I search FAG a lot and find that many of the volunteers do not take pictures of the headstones but only add the name, dob and dod in the screen. For those of us who have this information already, and would like the headstone, the site is useless. When volunteers have been contacted, by others, they state they are not obligated to take pictures. These sites are only as good as the people providing the informatrion. For those who take the time to provide accurate information, I praise you. Hopefully Ancestry will continue to keep FAG a free site.

October 5, 2013 at 4:11 pm
(26) Zann says:

For those complaining that Ancestry’s fees are too high-compared to other monthly bills, say cable tv, Ancestry fees are low. As for the ‘killing Ancestry must be making’-aside from the enormous costs associated with acquiring data and maintaining the site, Ancestry has employees (I am not one) that like to eat, office space to maintain, taxes to pay, an obligation to provide a return on investment to stockholders-just like any other business. If it were free, where do you think the money for all that would come from? You CAN get it for free at public and LDS libraries. Yes, you have to go there during the hours they are open.

Genealogy is a hobby. If you knit, you have to buy yarn and needles. If you grow rosebushes, you have to buy sprays and fertilizer. You do have the option of researching for FREE on Familysearch.org, anytime, courtesy of the LDS church.

There’s the perception that all content and websites on the internet are free. Free to us as users and browsers-but it costs someone, somewhere, to put that content online and maintain the site. FAG has to be very expensive to keep up and running, free labor or no. The founder said he couldnt do it any more. It’s been obvious to long time users that FAG, in its explosive growth in the last couple of years, had exceeded the ability of it’s founder and unpaid staff to maintain. FAG is free to you, not free to him.
I don’t know what’s in it for Ancestry to acquire an expensive-to-maintain, non revenue, site; it’s going to be interesting to see what comes of this development.

To the person that complained that some FAG memorials have no stones or other useful information: outrageous! Resign your membership and demand a refund.

October 5, 2013 at 11:29 pm
(27) ralph says:

For your answer, just look at how Ancestry decimated Rootsweb. I give Tipton about six months until he receives the lesson as to how acquisitions really work in the corporate world.

October 6, 2013 at 1:57 pm
(28) Linda says:

The only comment I have to make is that I, who began searching for my family history in the ’60s. have wanted to strangle the person who decided that providing those pop-ups on the side of the census records has mislead so many people who haven’t a clue about proper researching. Very little can be trusted under the “public family trees” nor do they care for you to provide proof of their error. They just copy whatever “HINTS” are provided with those “LEAFS” without even looking at what they have added.

I try not to look at the HINTS for they just cause more work and frustration in attempting to help those who care not if they are wrong.

As to Ancestry purchase of Find-A-Grave, it will go the way of those sites that company purchased before….

October 7, 2013 at 10:40 am
(29) A Non Ymous says:

I have had much better luck with Ancestry.com than one of the Mormon sites. They had the records so badly botched. I trust Ancesty.com more because they provide copies of the actual records instead of transcribed records with no hint of the original where it came from.

October 9, 2013 at 4:14 pm
(30) Randy says:

After reading through all these comments I can’t help but contribute a comment myself. I’m a member of Ancestry and Find-A-Grave, so I certainly know the nuances of both. What I feel need be stated is akin to what others have said: Yes, Ancestry is a paid membership, but that membership enables it to be stable and well-managed with lots of resources. It is not possible to obtain all this information for free these days. And, as far as some of the family trees being inaccurate? This is why everyone has their “own” tree. Just make sure your tree is correct and stop worrying about everyone else’s right to create their tree (the offending tree isn’t posted under “your” name). And as far as the crack against Mormons who baptize the dead. Yes, I’m aware of all this, and I have some wonderful Mormon friends, too, (even though I follow no particular faith). I say, so what? This is their believe, who is to say Christians are the only ones who can dictate religious policy? Because of this practice the Mormons have contributed to genealogy far and beyond every other organization in the world! So they have an unusual way of desiring this information, the end result is that many of our families are being documented by very dedicated people, for free! I for one, say, Thank You!

October 11, 2013 at 5:12 am
(31) Kris says:

I can’t afford an Ancestry subscription, but I can’t afford a Mercedes, either. That’s how business works — if you can afford it and want it, you buy it. If you can’t you don’t.

What I’m ticked about is being used. As a contributor to FAG, the fact that Tipton took MY work and converted it into HIS retirement plan still has me steaming — and didn’t even get kissed first.

I’ve been around the web looking for reactions to the sale, and I find a lot of concern that FAG won’t be free. I don’t find any indignation that the only reason Ancestry was even interested in FAG is because of the work of the volunteers.

Seriously? We did the work — he collected the money. And now he’s MIA. As far as I can tell, since his “isn’t this great for everyone?” post in the FAG forums, Tipton’s disappeared. And forum threads are locked with people start pointing out what a jerk he is. Maybe he’s out spending “his” paycheck.

This was great for Tipton. That’s who it was great for.

He also stated that if people wanted their contributions, especially photos, removed from FAG, those requests would be honored. Guess what? This has not yet come to pass. I guess he should have added, “within the next five years?”

We don’t have to wait to see if Ancestry charges for access to FAG to decide if it’s a screw-job.

October 12, 2013 at 10:58 am
(32) dominos discount codes says:

JFL was incorporated in 1995 and initiated operations in 1996.
But, it will be a good action if you thoroughly check out the offers
details and then make out the order. This pizza review
website has dedicated its time to the search for the best specials.

Visit my web blog; <a href=”http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vptk7y4hfiI”>dominos discount codes</a>

October 29, 2013 at 1:15 pm
(33) Bonitos fotomurales says:

For most recent news you have to go to see world-wide-web and on world-wide-web I
found this site as a best website for newest updates.

November 13, 2013 at 10:47 am
(34) Joyce says:

I have been doing genealogy research for 40 years. I have been using the internet since the ONLY GENEALOGY SITE WAS ON COMPUSERVE.
Everything was free then because people like me and many others spent THEIR time uploading information to many websites as time passed only to have it sold.
We all now have the opportunity to pay money to see our many years of work.
Ancestry is a great site if used properly which most subscribers don’t. There is still a lot of information available for free if you just know how to look. Do they have to own every genealogy related site?

December 13, 2013 at 9:23 pm
(35) Country Grandma says:

Awesome writing Jerry, and so many of you. “So, FAG volunteers how does it feel knowing you’ve been employeed by Ancestry.com but you’re not going to see a dime but they will eventually make a lot of money from your work”? “My Ancestors are not for sale”, AMEN To That. Greed, you’re right. But, I am sorry to say, that it appears everything on earth is for sale, as long as somebody can get away with it. (on Earth, Anyway)

I agree with so many of You hard working, Caring Folks who Contributed to FAG. I have done much work on there, Myself. And yes, any way you slice it..They Used EVERY One who EVER Made a Memorial, take Pictures, link Family Members, and so much more.

I did it for they Ones who are gone, to write about there Wonderful Lives, I Did NOT do it so somebody could make Money Off of it. Lord Have Mercy, this is SOO Wrong. I do believe FAG got bigger than J.T. or anyone else could have ever imagine. I have Always said, I wish the Owners of FAG, where in fact, Christian, God fearing People.

You don’t believe in God..OK..Put it like this, about the Folks we made Memorials for:

Because They Lived, We Live. AMEN.

December 18, 2013 at 8:32 pm
(36) Linda says:

I’m sickened by this. Having been a member of the genealogy community online for more than 25 years, I was horrified when the hard-won work of hundreds, if not thousands, of volunteers was somehow acquired by Ancestry.com and suddenly the work we all did was available only by paying them. Find-a-Grave was a wonderful resource for the same reason–volunteers contributing to help others. Already, it has become far less functional–you can’t search by “before” or “after” dates anymore, and that diminishes the utility of the site by leaps and bounds. I suspect that “paying” members of Ancestry.com still have that possibility. Having contributed information on my loved ones to find-a-grave, now finding it to have become the “property” of Ancestry.com makes me feel that I (and my ancestors) have been robbed.

December 27, 2013 at 4:45 pm
(37) Penny says:

I really don’t know whether to be amused or infuriated with people who think ancestry.com is such a wonderful company and need the money to keep itself up. Good lord, the thing was worth $1.6 BILLION U.S. and trading for $32/share last year when Permira bought it.

Ancestry will never reduce the high membership prices because they aren’t in for the love of genealogy; they’re in to make their stockholders more money. And that’s ok with me, I guess; although I, too, classify them as greedy sobs.

What’s not ok with me is that they have so much money in their coffers they buy up all the competition. That becomes really frustrating when all the competition had was provided to them FOR FREE by volunteers.

The only good thing I see at all in this latest acquisition of Ancestry’s is that folks who used to say with all the snark they could muster, “Find A Grave” is not a genealogy site” can now get over themselves.

Tipton? He can take a flying leap with his ill-gotten gains. My info now goes to familysearch.org. I do hold out at least some small hope that the LDS won’t be willing to sell completely out.

December 27, 2013 at 5:45 pm
(38) Brian McCarthy says:

Ok. How would you like to see Ancestry.com brought to it’s knees, and Tim Sullivan retired! Let’s all start a campaign with our friends, neighbor and fellow genealogies of canceling your subscription until the price is cut to $49.95 / year.

It’s all about supply and demand. Meaning no monthly fees, or canceled subscription and no cash flow for Sullivan. Are you in?

BTW this sight is monitored by Ancestry personnel so watch for the “disinformation to start to flow”……

January 1, 2014 at 3:00 pm
(39) ~Kimberly says:

Ancestry employees may monitor this website (e.g. read the blog), but they have no control or influence over any content that is posted. Any views shared here are my own only (and I do NOT work for Ancestry.com). That being said, yes Ancestry.com is expensive–especially for someone who is only casually interested in researching their own family tree. However, they spend a GREAT DEAL of money acquiring and digitizing content, hosting the content, and creating useful tools to help us access and display/share the information we find. I personally find the subscription fee actually saves me money when I take into account the travel costs and document fees that I would otherwise have to access the same information. But the value for each subscriber will vary and, for some, it may not be worth the cost. For people looking for free resources, don’t miss FamilySearch.org, as well as resources available on websites such as state archives, RootsWeb, Google Books, HathiTrust, Internet Archive, Chronicling America, etc.

February 5, 2014 at 3:04 am
(40) steakhouse promo codes online says:

Hi, I do think this is an excellent web site.
I stumbledupon it ;) I may revisit yet again since i have book-marked it.
Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and continue to help
other people.

February 24, 2014 at 9:01 pm
(41) gary peterson says:

I consider ancestry a complete rip off. Have never been able to get any info from their expensive site even with having places; birthdates and parents names. Get most info from free government sites.

February 27, 2014 at 10:35 am
(42) Anthony Kaney says:

Yep, and now that Ancestry has acquired FAG, it takes 10 minutes to get a response online. Ancestry’s notoriously sloooow servers will doom FAG.

March 18, 2014 at 3:35 pm
(43) JB2K says:

Obviously, some of you don’t klnow the economics of running a major website, such as Ancestry.com

The membership fees may be high for many of you, but that money pays for (among other things), website hosting/documents storage, employee salaries…lots of “stuff” you may not be aware of.

And to the person saying “their ancestors were not for sale”, the reality of the matter is our ancestors become public domain after the pass-away.

As for me, I contribute to both F.A.G. and Ancestry.com, and I get satisfaction out of knowing my contributions to both websites are helping someone in their quest for family research — I never see it as getting “robbed” for my “hard work”…